I created this Oolong infused Prosciutto & Veggie Frittata because my husband wanted eggs for dinner the other night. As I cooked, I enjoyed a cup of Oolong tea but began to feel guilty because I didn't want to throw away my tea leaves yet I didn't want to re-steep and have another cup of tea. So, I decided to alleviate my guilt by infusing the frittata with a steeping of this buttery sweet Oolong tea which complemented the savory saltiness of the Prosciutto, eggs and earthiness of the veggies. I just served it for my girlfriends for brunch this morning, after a bachelorette night and it seemed to cured everybody's hangover.
Oolong Infused Prosciutto & Veggie Frttiata
Prep Time: 20 min / Cook Time: 15 - 20 min
Serving Size: 4 - 6
- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
- 1 medium yellow squash, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms (shitake, baby bellos & oyster), diced
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, diagonally sliced into 1/4 in (about 2 cups)
- 8-10 large eggs (egg white optional)
- 1/3 cup soy creamer
- 2 TBS VINTAGE OOLONG tea yielding 1/2 cup tea concentrate, chilled*
- 2 ounces sliced Prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup Dubliner Cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Garnish: 1 avocado, sliced & 1 tomato, diced
- Preheat oven to broil
- Heat oil in medium (oven proof) skillet over medium - high heat. Saute onions until soft. Add pepper, squash, mushrooms & asparagus and saute. Cover for about 3-4 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk eggs, creamer and chilled steeped Oolong tea.
- Pour in egg mixture to the veggies in the skillet and gently stir. Cover and reduce the heat to low and cook until eggs are almost set (about 8-10 minutes). Evenly add Prosciutto and basil to skillet and let sit for 1-2 minutes. Loosen edges with spatula and turn off stove.
- Sprinkle cheese on top, place in oven and cook until the top started to brown (about 3-5 minutes). Take out of oven and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Loose edges with spatula.
- Place a large serving plate over the pan and carefully invert to turn out the fritatta. Place another large serving plate over the plated fritatta and invert again so the cheese is facing up.
- Cut into wedges and garnish with sliced avocado & diced tomatoes.
*How to make Oolong Tea Concentrate: Bring 5 oz water to boil and let cool for 2-3 minutes, which will bring water to 180 degrees, the temperature to steep Oolong tea. Place 2 TBS of tea in an 8 oz measuring cup. Pour 4 oz of hot water over tea leaves and steep for 3 minutes. Strain tea leaves and place liquid in refrigerator to chill. Reserve tea leaves and make freshly brewed iced or hot tea.
Tune in to learn how to make freshly brewed Iced Tea...