Wednesday, February 11, 2009
Matcha California Endive Rolls
I was making California rolls for a dinner party one night and the sushi rice did not turn out correct and I didn't have time to cook more rice so I decided to scoop the filling in endive spears. The result, a light, crunchy, slightly spicy and fun appetizer. The Matcha tea, a pulverized powder green tea, gives this dish a subtle earthy sweetness and complements the acidness of the lemon and vinegar, the creaminess of the mayo and the spiciness of the wasabi.
• 2 TBS mayo
• 1 TBS lemon zest
• 2 TBS lemon juice
• 1 TBS soy sauce
• 1 TBS Dijon mustard
• 1 TBS rice vinegar
• 2 tsp Ichimi Togarshi, grounded (Japanese red pepper seasonings)
• 1 TBS Matcha, pulverized green tea
• 1-2 tsp wasabi powder (depending how spicy)
• 2 - 8 oz package crab meat (leg & claw), drained & separated
• 1 – 8 oz package surimi crab (imitation crab), drained & separated
• ¼ cup fennel, thinly sliced from of top stalk
• 6 endive heads, separated, rinsed & pat dry
• 1½ Avocado, thinly sliced
• Salt & pepper
• Fresh dill to garnish, thinly sliced
• Sesame Seeds to garnish
Prep Time: 15 - 20 min
Serving Size: 8 -10 (appetizer)
1. In a mixing bowl, whisk mayo, lemon juice & zest, soy, mustard, vinegar, togarsghi, Matcha, and wasabi. Add crab meat and fennel and combine evenly. Salt & pepper to taste.
2. Arrange endive spears on platter. Place 1 slice of avocado on each endive spear and spoon crab mixture in every spear on top of avocado. Sprinkle with dill and sesame seeds & serve immediately or chill.