Monday, February 16, 2009
EARL OF GREY Smoked Chicken and Gravy
One night when preparing smoked chicken for my family and friends, I realized I ran out of smoking chips but I had a lot of ERAL OF GREY loose tea. The aroma of the tea awakened my senses as I spread the leaves at the bottom of my Carermon Stovetop Smoker. Suddenly I was inspired to create a citrus rub to complement the bergamot and citrus tones of the EARL OF GREY and a creamy EARL OF GREY Gravy to complement the smokiness of the juicy chicken. I have incorporated this recipe in many of my Cooking with Tea classes and it gotten raves reviews. Try is and let me know how you like it!!!
EARL OF GREY Smoked Chicken & Gravy
Preparation: 15 minutes/ Cook Time: 2 1/2 hours
Yields: 6 servings
Season: Fall / Winter
• 3 whole fry chicken, halved & gutted (2-3 lbs each)
• 4 TBS EARL OF GREY, full loose leaves for smoker
• Tea-soning: (Tea + Seasonings = Hand-crafted Tea-sonings)
o 2 TBS EARL OF GREY, grounded
o 2 TBS salt
o 1 TBS pepper
o Zest of 1 lemon
o Zest of ½ grapefruit
o 2 tsp smoked paprika
o 1 tsp rosemary
o 1 tsp garlic powder
Preparation Smoking Chicken:
1. Sprinkle EARL OF GREY full loose leaves at base of smoker
2. Grinder 2 TBS of EARL OF GREY and combine with salt, pepper, lemon zest, grapefruit zest, smoked paprika, rosemary and garlic powder to make Tea-Sonings.
3. Rub Tea-soning over chicken.
4. Place in smoker & cook for 2 hours. Remove from heat and let sit for 20 min. Uncover & broil for 5 -10 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 5 -10 min & prepare gravy.
EARL OF GREY Gravy Ingredients:
• ¼ cup coconut oil
• ¼ cup corn starch
• ¼ cup soy sauce
• ¼ cup sherry
• 2 TBS EARL OF GREY Tea yielding ½ cup * EARL OF GREY Tea concentrate (or any earl grey black tea)
*Hot to make Black Tea Concentrate: Bring 5 oz water to a boil. Place 2 TBS of tea in an 8 oz measuring cup. Pour 4 oz hot water over tea leaves and steep for 4 minutes. Strain tea leaves and place liquid in refrigerator to chill or add a little ice to chill faster. **Reserve tea leaves to make iced tea.
• 1 TBS balsamic vinegar
• 1/3 cup agave
• 1 cup heavy cream
• 1/3 cup of juice from smoked chicken
• 1 tsp garlic, minced
• ½ cup scallions, finely chopped
• 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
• 1 tsp cumin
• Salt & pepper to taste
Preparation of gravy:
1. Heat coconut oil over a medium heat in small pot until melted. Whisk corn starch in with oil until evenly combined and thickens.
2. Add soy sauce, sherry, EARL OF GREY concentrate balsamic vinegar, agave and whisk. Add heavy cream and whisk together until smooth.
3. Gently whisk in juice from smoked chicken.
4. Add garlic, scallions, smoked paprika & cumin and cook for 2-3 minutes, lower heat & simmer.